DInput mouse - where to go from here?

Stefan Dösinger stefandoesinger at gmx.at
Thu Sep 27 03:55:50 CDT 2007

Am Donnerstag, 27. September 2007 08:04:30 schrieb Christoph Frick:
> On Thu, Sep 27, 2007 at 04:48:23AM +0000, L. Rahyen wrote:
> > On Thursday September 27 2007 04:07, Vitaliy Margolen wrote:
> > > The point I'm trying to make is: can we once put our "right ways of
> > > doing things" aside and fix something that never worked before? And
> > > fix it _for good_!
> so if the "evdev" path is a choice one can choose at compile time or
> even by config: go for it! even if unofficial - the gamers out there are
> used to hack stuff into wine to make their favourite games work
> _at_once_ after patches or after release - no matter if they break
> windows comptibility or other in their wine instance.
You have my vote on an evdev dinput backend too, however, we get some problems
which the X server used to solve for us:

1) Multiple Mice. If there are 2 mouse devices, the X server manages them and
combines them to one core pointer. These configurations are pretty common,
for example on laptops with touchpad + usb mouse.

2) Different devices: An USB mouse creates a /dev/input/eventX node, but other
devices, like my synaptics touchpad do not. In the worst case we need a
driver for each mouse type, USB, serial, PS2, Synaptics, busmouse,
logitech, ...

3) Other OSes: This was mentioned already, but I wanted to add that the
problem seems X11-only. MacOS reports relative mouse movements like Windows
does, so a quartz driver will not have this issue. Perhaps the evdev reading
should be implemented in winex11.drv?

I think as a first step, we should ask the X11 developers for their advice.
Maybe we're missing some option here? I doubt it, but we should give it a
try.