winetricks: add ie6 verb

Steven Edwards winehacker at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 12:11:55 CDT 2008

This might be of use to someone wanting to compare Wine IE gecko
rendering to IE6 without having to use a bigger hack like ies4linux. I
am sending here rather than privately to Dan as I don't expect it to
be merged to winetricks mainline

Changelog: Add ie6 verb and support IE6

<rant>
I doubt Dan will merge it (no disrespect intended, I am not trying to
single him out) because it might be viewed as 'lacking sense taste'
whatever that is supposed to mean, see

http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-devel/2008-July/067109.html

regarding a script for Media player and codecs. I don't see what could
be poor taste if Wine is going to have to reimplement this stuff
anyway, to provide support for it in winetricks so developers can
compare native verses builtin. All the better if some users find it of
use too. I would see something like Office being added as crossing the
line Dan has drawn for winetricks being a developer tool rather than a
user tool but that is not really my point in any case.

We've been accused in private by other that Bordeaux will not, or does
not contribut back to Wine, leeches off of Winehq in a Transgaming
like style, etc. Even though 90% of my patches and ideas (however
small they are) have been rejected and even with IE being a nice part
of the revenue stream, I've decide to give the hack back in all of its
glory. We are committed to maintain NO "proprietary advantages" and
seeing everything that runs on Bordeaux work out of the box on the
next Wine stable release. We don't have the development staff or
funding yet to fully ramp up and be as active as we would like to be
but here is another token of our commitment.
</rant>

--
Steven Edwards