Implementing dxdiag as student project?

Henri Verbeet hverbeet at
Sun Dec 28 08:24:47 CST 2008

2008/12/28 Dan Kegel <dank at>:
> Hi folks,
> it seems odd to me that Wine doesn't have a tool like
> dxdiag yet.   We often have people complain that
> graphics aren't working, and we have to ask them
> to do things like run glxgears as diagnostics.
> Would it make sense to implement our own
> dxdiag.exe program?
> This seems like it might be a fun student project.
> - Dan
If the student in question is capable, sure. Like Chris already
mentioned, I think the main use of such an application would be
dumping information like supported caps, texture formats, etc in case
of D3D and supported extensions, pixelformats, various limits, drivers
strings, etc. for OpenGL. It would probably also be useful to dump
some registry settings, like anything under
HKCU\Software\Wine\Direct3D. We could add some tests to see if basic
D3D is working, but on its own I don't think that adds much over
glxinfo & glxgears.