WineHQ should discourage the use of cracks

Steven Edwards winehacker at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 14:16:35 CST 2008

On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 3:07 PM, Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com> wrote:
>  This is a valid concern.  I think we may end up having to
>  deal with this by providing an easy, standard way to
>  install the most commonly needed, legally redistributable
>  dependencies.   For instance, we might bundle a couple
>  of key demo apps with Wine; if we choose carefully,
>  we can probably find a set of apps that will just happen to
>  install all the commonly needed redistributables.

This really sounds like an issue for distribution maintainers, OEMs,
Vars and Wine companies like CodeWeavers. I really don't think Winehq
should ever get in to a position of shipping third party runtimes via
back door demos. If you want to do it in Winetricks or if the Bordeaux
and PlayOnLinux guys want to do it, more power to you. Nothing stops
you from making your own Wine package and distributing it however you
like with whatever third party runtimes and demos that you like.

--
Steven Edwards