Right way to cope with user error in make test?

Steven Edwards winehacker at gmail.com
Sat May 17 22:09:41 CDT 2008

On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 11:08 AM, Jeremy White <jwhite at winehq.org> wrote:
> Yah; I think to some extent we need to wait for Alexandre to express
> an opinion on how, if at all, he'd like to address this.
>
> We seem to have come up with about 4 approaches:
>  1.  Skip the test.  Rob thinks Alexandre will reject this
>  2.  Make WINE_NOTICE_WITH be default error; i.e. require
>      an explicit --without in order to skip a package you lack
>  3.  Create some sort of config record; a config.id if you will.
>      This could then be read by dotests and/or winetests
>      to not transmit the results.
>      (As a side note, this might be handy place to put
>      a git HEAD which might allow my winetest patches to go in,
>      thereby eliminating the need for an out of tree dotests.  But no bias here <grin>).
>  4.  Have dotests scan the existing config.log file.

1. really seems to me like the right method. including config.h in the
test and doing something like

START_TEST(foo_and_bar)
{
#ifdef HAVE_FOO
test_foo()
#endif
test_bar()
}

I don't see why we can't do this along with embedding the config.h
information the winetest transmission data. This will greatly help
with the number of false failures.

Thanks

Steven Edwards