Glitch-free iTunes?

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 22:11:33 CDT 2011

On 7/4/11 7:50 PM, Keith Curtis wrote:
> None of the Linux kernel developers are paid by Linus nor can be fired
> by him. Linus never forces people to respond to his mails or to work
> on anything. What has happened is that the team has realized that
> having goals and leadership has led to good results, and Linus is a
> good leader, and so they follow along. If Linus says something needs
> to be worked on, it happens. The rest of the people keep doing their
> own work.
I think you missed my point.  There is a 'leader' for Linux and that
person just happens to be Linus.  Whether or not he wants that position
is pointless.  He has it.  Linux is and will remain his 'baby'.  There
is NO such person, that I'm aware of for Wine.  Thus if I happen to
'need' to have a few functions in Wine I have two options:
1.  File a bug report, categorize it, define it and then hope that
someone has the skills and desire to fix the problem I've identified.
2.  File a bug report, categorize it, define it and then fix it myself.
I have two bug reports that I have worked on and now I'm working on code
to bring those functions into Wine, with assistance from other Wine
developers to insure that my code is high enough quality and is
implemented properly.
You have the same options as does everyone else.  And yes, if you look
through Wine's bugzilla you will see very old bugs (that is why I
mentioned the DIB Engine, it is bug 421 and is almost ten years old) to
bugs filed yesterday.  All need love and attention.  Some bug reports
were opened only to be closed when this did not happen.  Also, remember
what is important to you may not be so for the entire project.  That is
why I'm working on code.  Those functions are important to me, but to
the overall project no so.
There is one other difference between the LKM project and Wine.  The
Linux Kernel is essential to the functioning of Linux.  Wine is only
essential to getting well-behaved Windows programs to run on
Linux/UNIX.  There are some programs that started the project, many
years ago, that are no longer available or now have Linux/UNIX equivalents.

James