winemenubuilder - MIME type handling GSoC - bad idea

Sebastian Lackner sebastian at fds-team.de
Sun Mar 15 22:32:54 CDT 2015

Hi,

I would also like to join this discussion.

First of all, we already know that no matter how "good" the idea is, there is always a risk that it will not be accepted upstream. As long as least a part of the Wine community thinks it is useful, we should give students the possibility to pick this task, imho.

On 16.03.2015 03:06, Damjan Jovanovic wrote:
> Hi
>
> I welcome this discussion.
>
> Of course manually deleting files in ~/.local is not user friendly,
> and it was never intended to be done that way.
>
> I did not write the part of the Wiki entry suggesting that applet :-).
> If you install a Windows app on Windows, and it creates menus and file
> associations, you don't get to opt out, and have to use a 3rd party
> tool to edit or delete those afterwards. If you install a Linux app on
> Linux, and it creates menus and file associations, you also don't get
> to opt out, and have to use a 3rd party tool (a Freedesktop
> menu/association editing tool) to edit or delete those afterwards. Why
> is Wine so special?

The big difference between Wine and other linux software packages is that those packages only add assocications for "useful" things, and they are removed again when uninstalling the package. Wine on the other hand adds associations for a lot of unnecessary stuff. In addition to that the associations remain and are broken when deleting the prefix.

> What are people actually looking for? For Wine not to create
> menu/associations when running on a non-"~/.wine" WINEPREFIX? For a
> way to stop the annoying use of Wine's "Internet Explorer" to open
> jpeg files? Anything else?

People are looking for a well-working Wine, without having to use third-party unsupported prefix management tools or doing things manually. Thats the whole idea of having configuration tools like winecfg in addition to regedit. I personally know how to solve / workaround these issues, in fact I try to avoid winemenubuilder completely because otherwise my whole system gets messed up with unwanted associations. That is exactly what the GSOC idea is trying to solve, find a way to solve this problem. The idea of moving parts to winecfg was just a suggestion, if there are other useful ideas, they can also be considered and discussed of course.

A lot of people are using third party Wine versions and builds already, but that doesn't mean that upstream should completely ignore the aspect of providing user-friendly software.

> BTW you don't need distro binfmt handlers to double-click .exe (and
> .msi and .lnk) files: Wine's tools/wine.desktop handles those. You
> only need binfmt handlers to run .exe directly from the command line -
> when you aren't in a desktop where you can use "xdg-open
> /path/to/file.exe". I suspect the Ubuntu package installs a binfmt
> handler because it doesn't know that.
>
> Regards
> Damjan

Best regards,