Who decides what are good translations war: Update German translation.

Hin-Tak Leung htl10 at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Sep 5 04:51:24 CDT 2015

------------------------------
On Sat, Sep 5, 2015 7:10 AM BST Alex Henrie wrote:

>> BTW. Who decides what are good translations?
>
>My German is terrible, so I will not attempt to comment on specific
>German translations. However, I'd like to point out that I used
>Windows as a reference to translate Wine into Catalan. I did not copy
>translations word-for-word, but I noticed that Windows consistently
>used some very specific terminology that is less common in Linux. The
>list I came up with was:
>
>byte -> byte
>default -> per defecte
>font size -> cos de lletra
>front (of window stack) -> primer terme
>graph -> gràfic
>handle -> identificador
>item -> element
>move -> desplaçar
>pool -> agrupació
>prompt -> indicador
>set -> definir
>settings -> opcions, configuració
>suppress -> reprimir
>use -> utilitzar
>
>Windows also had some grossly horrible translations, like "tancar" for
>"shut down". I ignored those. My point though is that if you are
>having a hard time deciding which German word is appropriate for Wine,
>I would give a lot of consideration to which German word Windows uses.
>
>-Alex

That's perhaps the most relevant response in this thread - remember, the stated aim of wine is to be bug-for-bug compatible with windows. Wine does not try to be a 'better' windows. There is no 'good' translations, but just what localised windows does. Different from localised windows is a flaw, even if it is arguably 'better'.  one might choose to have a flaw occasionally, but a flaw it is, if it is different from localised windows.