The future of the native theming support

Ivan Akulinchev ivan.akulinchev at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 03:23:43 CDT 2016

So my GSoC proposal wasn't accepted this year. Probably it was my
mistake by applying it too late, but this mail is not about this.

Since a big research was already done, it would be fine to implement
this feature anyway. The problem is that I still don't know what such
people as Alexandre Julliard think about it. I got some positive
feedback from normal users and even some Wine developers. However they
don't make decisions about the Wine future and I don't want to spend my
time if this feature will never get into upstream.

As far as I know there already were some attempts to do something in
this direction. But interesting patches I found in wine-patches were
left without any response and Wine still looks like a monster from 90s.
At the same time I see a lot of patches affecting the DirectX API. Is it
the official position of the Wine maintainers to keep Wine as an OpenGL
wrapper? Of course there are a lot of users who just want to play their
Windows games on the Unix-like systems, but the need of working with
normal desktop applications is still very high.

There also were some questions about integrating new themes to the
existing system. If it matters, I found a way to make it transparently
for the end users. A new "GTK+" or even "Mac" theme can live together
with old MSSTYLES themes without need of switching any "theme drivers"
as it was said in my GSoC proposal.

Regards,
Ivan