This year's changes to the "Submitting Patches" page

Henri Verbeet hverbeet at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 10:18:57 CDT 2018

On 9 July 2018 at 17:08, Andrew Eikum <aeikum at codeweavers.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 01, 2018 at 05:01:13PM +0200, Alex Henrie wrote:
> The only part I dislike is this:
>
>> You can also use git config format.signOff true to enable this setting by default on every new commit.
>
> Since we are allowed to send sign-offs on others' behalf (a practice I
> dislike, but it is what it is), I don't think we should make it easy

That doesn't sound right. The way I understand things, we obviously
preserve existing sign-offs on a patch unless we make substantial
changes to it, but we shouldn't be adding sign-offs that weren't
already there.

That's not to say I disagree with your point though; I'd prefer
signing off on a patch to be an explicit action as well.