Wine and mingw-w64 cooperation

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Wed Jun 5 01:21:54 CDT 2019

On Mon, 3 Jun 2019, Jacek Caban wrote:
[...]
> Here is how I imagine TestBot could look do:
>
> 1. Accept mingw-w64 patches (like it currently does for Wine patches)
>
> 2. Build a compiler toolchain
>
> This is scripted in many places, so it shouldn't be too hard to automate. We
> could probably start with the most common configuration.
>
> Francois, how does that sound?

That's probably doable but it will require quite a few TestBot
modifications.

* The TestBot will need to know how to deal with multiple repositories.
  We need that for Wine anyway and I even have some incomplete patches
  for it.

* It will need to be able to identify whether a patch is against Wine or
  mingw-w64 which is related to the previous point.

* The TestBot normally analyses the test results to identify failures.
  That's in part necessary for Wine to distinguish new test failures
  from old ones. Presumably mingw-w64 has tests that actually pass so
  simply bypassing these checks and just looking at the process exit
  code would be enough.

* We may want separate pages for Wine's jobs and the mingw-w64 ones.

* The job submission page would likely need to offer different
  options for mingw-w64 patches than for Wine ones. For instance if we
  run mingw-w64 on Windows, those Windows VMs would need to have
  mingw-w64 installed which the Wine test VMs should not have. So we'd
  want to offer testing on a different set of VMs for mingw-w64 patches
  that for Wine ones.

That's one thing that separates the TestBot from other CI systems: it's
not generic so where other CI systems just need to be configured for a
new project, to some extent, the TestBot needs to be patched through and
through.

> 3. Build a few projects - to make sure they build.
>
> Wine, Wine Gecko, VLC should give a good coverage.

That sounds like long running tasks so we will likely need new hardware
so the TestBot can run them for every patch that gets submitted: if
patches come at a rate of about one per hour, then the TestBot needs to
process the resulting jobs at a rate of at least one per hour. That said
we already need new hardware for PCI-passthrough for Wine (though the
exact details are not set yet).

                            -- from some indian guy