WineHQ AppDB and NoCD-Patches

Tim Schumacher timschumi at gmx.de
Tue Jun 18 16:02:25 CDT 2019

On 18.06.19 22:11, Bob Wya wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Jun 2019 at 20:21, Tim Schumacher <timschumi at gmx.de> wrote:
>
>> Alright then. I was just confused because they seem to be exactly the same version
>> (except for the copy protection of course), down to the version number.
>> Based on the responses I have been getting, I'm going to keep the versions
>> and ratings as-is, renaming the "1.x.0.0" versions to "1.x.0.0 CD/DVD"
>> to avoid future confusion.
>>
>> Tim
>>

> Now you're truly making work, where none exists.
>
> WineHQ AppDB applications often require wildcard versions of the form 1.x
> - when an application has frequent major/minor version updates.
>
> If an application has 2 versions. There is absolutely no reason to merge these.
> What purpose does this serve?
>
> Your time would be better served knocking up some simple 'How to' guides,
> that are specific to the DVD/CD and Steam versions.
>
> All the best,
> Robert

I specifically said "version_s_" and "rename", since I don't plan to merge anything.
I could have said the following as well, which would have been longer and harder to
understand:

I'm going to rename "v1.0.0.0" and "v1.1.0.0" to "v1.0.0.0 CD/DVD" and "v1.1.0.0 CD/DVD"
respectively to avoid further confusion.

I have also come to the conclusion that it's the best solution if I don't do anything
except for appending "CD/DVD" to the versions that shipped on CD (to avoid future confusion)
and keeping those CD versions on "Garbage" due to the copy protection.

Tim