Ubuntu 19.10 will be 64 bit only

Erich E. Hoover erich.e.hoover at gmail.com
Fri Jun 21 09:35:13 CDT 2019

On Fri, Jun 21, 2019 at 6:41 AM Rosanne DiMesio <dimesio at earthlink.net> wrote:
> I'm not qualified to explain the technical issues, beyond saying Wine does it the same way as Windows (WoW64). I need help framing an answer in terms a typical Ubuntu user can understand that I can put in the FAQ and on the forum.

Well, part of the problem is that we don't implement WoW64 the exact
same way Windows does.  All the 32-bit Windows routines have thunks
that transition to 64-bit code, call the 64-bit API equivalent, and
then transition back to 32-bit code.  Our 32-bit libraries call the
32-bit Linux equivalents, since this is massively easier and "just
works".  I vaguely remember a conversation a number of years ago where
someone talked about doing similar thunking to Windows and there was
concern that it is too hard to get this thunking correct for every API
call, but I don't remember the details as to why that's the case.

Best,
Erich