Ubuntu 19.10 will be 64 bit only

Julius Schwartzenberg julius.schwartzenberg at gmail.com
Sat Jun 22 03:45:10 CDT 2019

чт, 20 июн. 2019 г. в 14:47, Rosanne DiMesio <dimesio at earthlink.net>:
> Thoughts?

There seems to be a trend where applications are distributed with all
their runtime dependencies bundled, libraries, compatibility layers,
etc. With a filesystem that has built-in compression this may not take
up that much more space on disk.

To support this with Windows applications, I imagine having conversion
tools like: msi2rpm, msi2deb, msi2snap, msi2flatpak or maybe a generic
tool for all installers. (Maybe such tools could even be ran on
Windows and download extra things they need.)

I have seen Windows applications distributed in such a way before
(with a bundled Wine version), but I am not aware of any tools to
automate the creation of such packages. Maybe such tooling could
become part of the Wine project?

Another thing I'm wondering about is what would happen if Windows
builds of libraries like GStreamer would be used by Wine instead.
Could this reduce the need for some libraries to be provided by the
host system?

Best regards,
Julius