Ubuntu 19.10 will be 64 bit only

Sveinar Søpler cybermax at dexter.no
Sat Jun 29 03:31:39 CDT 2019

----- On Jun 22, 2019, at 1:12 PM, dimesio dimesio at earthlink.net wrote:

> On Sat, 22 Jun 2019 14:34:47 +0430
> Henri Verbeet <hverbeet at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Provided the Ubuntu kernels will continue to support 32-bit
>> executables, and provided there's interest in the Ubuntu community to
>> continue running Wine, I imagine it should be possible for a bunch of
>> people in the Ubuntu community to get together and provide 32-bit
>> builds of the required packages as a PPA or something. Although hardly
>> ideal, I don't think there's a reason such an approach wouldn't work.
>
> I can't use PPAs to satisfy build dependencies on the OBS. Packages have to
> either be in the Ubuntu  standard, update, or universe repositories, or on the
> OBS itself. The latter is what we're doing for FAudio. That works fine, other
> than the whining from Ubuntu users about the tremendous difficulty of copying
> and pasting the command to add another repository. So if Ubuntu users do decide
> to go the PPA route, they should also plan on building their own Wine packages.

Since most Launchpad PPA´s provide the needed orig.tar.xz files, along with .dsc
and -debian.tar.xz, it is not impossible to re-build those packages on the OBS
for use as a dependency. It is not there the work lies i guess.

Dunno if *buntu maintaners plan on creating any wine-release on Launchpad at all,
but if they do, it is not really impossible to maintain OBS as a kind of "backup"
of Launchpad to use for -devel and -staging.

Will be interesting to see how this is solved on Launchpad, cos dependencies is
a hornets nest on top of a anthill, and once main repo´s start dropping deps it´s
a huge undertaking to unwind.

Sveinar