winegstreamer: Avoid Fedora and openSUSE?

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Sat May 30 02:05:23 CDT 2020

On Thu, 28 May 2020, Rosanne DiMesio wrote:

> On Thu, 28 May 2020 05:52:38 +0200 (CEST)
> Francois Gouget <fgouget at free.fr> wrote:
>

> > Right, I used 'empty' in a somewhat loose sense. registry.i586.bin is
> > small (<= 25kB instead of > 200kB) and running strings on it shows
> > all plugins are blacklisted:
> >
> Both my files are over 900kB, and nothing is blacklisted:

It turns out Wine has a workaround which allows it to not trigger this
bug: https://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-devel/2020-May/166969.html

(but once the registry file is broken, Wine is impacted too)

> > Here are some things I found while writing / testing it on openSUSE 15.1:
> >
> > * MinGW does not seem to be readily available. Compiling Wine without
> >   MinGW is likely not to get tested much in the future so that's
> >   concerning.
> >
> MinGW packages are available in the windows:mingw repository on the
> OBS. I've been able to build Wine with MinGW support locally and I can
> tell you what MinGW packages I have installed, but I don't know how
> many of those are actually needed--my method was to keep installing
> stuff until configure stopped complaining.

Excellent. I have updated the script to add support for adding OBS
repositories. It now uses the Emulators:Wine, windows:mingw:win32,
windows:mingw:win64 and home:dimesio OBS 'projects' to provide FAudio,
MinGW win32, MinGW win64 and vkd3d respectively.

https://github.com/fgouget/wt-daily/blob/master/wt-install-dev#L722

I hope this can make it easy for openSUSE developers to get their system
set up to work on Wine.

> > * A number of -devel-32bit packages don't depend on package that
> >   contains the libraries, resulting in unusable dead links. The culprits
> >   are:
> >     fontconfig-devel-32bit
> >     libgphoto2-devel-32bit
> >     libpulse-devel-32bit
> >     libv4l-devel-32bit
> >     openal-soft-devel-32bit
> >     sane-backends-devel-32bit
> >     vulkan-devel-32bit
> >
> The libraries for all of those should be pulled in as dependencies by
> installing the wine-32bit package from the Emulators:Wine repository

There is no need for Emulators:Wine here since this is all in the main
repository anyway. It's just that fontconfig-devel-32bit should depend
on fontconfig-devel but does not. vkd3d-devel-32bit has the same problem
by the way: it should depend on libvkd3d1-32bit but does not (hint).

> > * There are a couple other missing -devel-32bit packages that the script
> >   works around by creating the missing symlinks:
> >     libnetapi-devel-32bit
> >     Mesa-libGL-devel-32bit!
> I don't have either of those packages installed, and don't have the 64
> bit libnetapi-devel package either, and configure has never complained
> about either one. I do have the 32 and 64 bit libraries installed for
> both.

Wine's configure does not complain about libnetapi since it's a
relatively minor dependency. As for Mesa-libGL-devel-32bit I suspect you
have Mesa-libGL1-32bit installed and your page documents creating the
needed libGL.so symlink so that's why Wine does not complain about it.

> >     prelink (not a lib)
>
> I don't have that installed at all. I vaguely remember it used to be
> required, but it hasn't been needed in years.

I'm not sure it's no longer needed. I believe it's more of a case where
it's only needed for a few applications so one can get by without it.
But maybe I'm wrong.

               A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure
                    until he begins to blame somebody else.
                               -- John Burroughs