Codeweaver's Wine - Autolaunch?

lawson_whitney at juno.com lawson_whitney at juno.com
Sun Dec 9 19:13:31 CST 2001

On Sun, 9 Dec 2001, Hal Vaughan wrote:

> I had a little trouble installing WINE and, becuase of that, tried several
> different versions.  It turned out the sound trouble was not a WINE issue,
> but a devfs issue, so I deactivated devfs (devfs=nomount).
>
> I am using the latest RPM of Codeweaver's WINE with Mandrake 8.1.
>
> I've got Codeweaver's WINE up and running now.  When I first tried this, I
> could type a win .exe file from the console and run it without typing wine
> [win_exe_name].  I could run a win exe from Konqueror by just clicking on
> it.
>
> That doesn't work now, with a new install.  Did I set something up wrong?
> Or is there another version that handles the "autolaunch" by detecting the
> executable type and running WINE automatically?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Hal

That's not exactly wine that does that, or needs to be set up to do
that.  It is a kernel feature called binfmt_misc, normally configured as
a module binfmt_misc.o that the Linux System Administrator needs to
decide if it wants to enable and configure.  Some Wine packages may take
it upon themselves to configure it "for you" behind your back, but I
guess you uninstalled those packages cleanly before installing the Wine
you have now.  The doco for it is in
<linux>/Documentation/binfmt_misc.txt if you would like to take a swat
at setting it up by hand.  I did it once, just to see if it would work,
but I didn't bother to make a script for it.

It was probably your distro's Wine rpm or so that did that.  Distros
tend to be a little cavalier about making decisions for the system
administrator, and about dropping things into the startup scripts, which
are somewhat distro specific.  OTOH, she had warts, and the version of
wine in that is probably hideously obsolets.  If you don't want to
bother picking apart the rpm to find the little part that sets up
binfmt_misc, this nasty little script works for me.  Of course, if your
wine executable is named something else, you must change the script or
it won't work.

#!/bin/sh
/sbin/modprobe binfmt_misc
/bin/mount -t binfmt_misc oops /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc
echo ':windose:M::MZ::/usr/local/bin/wine:' \
>/proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc/register

The backslash at the end of the 4th line just continues the line.  It is
not part of the syntax.

Lawson
---oof---