WINE ASPI support and my Polaroid SprintScan 35 Plus

Mark A. Haun markhaun at uiuc.edu
Thu Nov 22 12:11:19 CST 2001

Ove Kaaven wrote:
 > On Thu, 22 Nov 2001, Mark A. Haun wrote:
 >
 >> No matter what I try in the DLLOverrides config, it cannot find
WINASPI.DLL.

 > The DllOverrides only specifies which dlls wine prefers to load,
 > wine does not try to fake the physical existence of any .dll file.
 > You should use something like "touch winaspi.dll" in your system
 > directory to make it look like it exist, since as you can see,
 > there's a failing OpenFile("winaspi.dll"), which means that the app
 > checks for the physical existence of the file, before actually
 > trying to load it.

Aha!  It almost works now.  I created the dummy file, and now it
proceeds to load the builtin ASPI library and scan the SCSI bus.  It is
failing to find the scanner, however.  I get these lines in
/var/log/messages each time:

Nov 22 11:48:57 angwin kernel: sym53c875-0-<4,0>: extraneous data discarded.
Nov 22 11:48:57 angwin kernel: sym53c875-0-<4,0>: COMMAND FAILED (89 0)
@c7f8e00

The driver program manifests the error as a popup saying "a SCSI board
is available, but the scanner could not be found."  When I run with
--debugmsg +aspi, I get the following:

trace:aspi:SCSI_printprocentry Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
trace:aspi:SCSI_printprocentry   Vendor: IBM      Model: DCAS-34330W
   Rev: S65A
trace:aspi:SCSI_printprocentry   Type:   Direct-Access
   ANSI SCSI revision: 02
trace:aspi:SCSI_printprocentry Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 04 Lun: 00
trace:aspi:SCSI_printprocentry   Vendor: POLAROID Model: 35MM
   Rev: 5.94
trace:aspi:SCSI_printprocentry   Type:   Scanner
   ANSI SCSI revision: 02
trace:aspi:GetASPISupportInfo16 GETASPISupportInfo16
trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd {
trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd   EVPD: 0
trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd   LUN: 0
trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd   PAGE CODE: 0
trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd   ALLOCATION LENGTH: 36
trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd   CONTROL: 0
trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd }
trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd Host Adapter: 0
trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd Flags: 0
warn:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd    Transfer by scsi cmd. Length not checked
trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd   Residual byte length reporting disabled
trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd   Linking disabled
trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd   Posting disabled
trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd Target: 4
trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd Lun: 0
trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd BufLen: 36
trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd SenseLen: 18
trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd BufPtr: 3e70000 (0x403b15bc)
trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd LinkPointer 0
trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd CDB Length: 6
trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd POST Proc: 0
CDB buffer[12,00,00,00,24,00]
trace:aspi:ASPI_OpenDevice16 Opening device
Software\Wine\Wine\Config\scsi c0t4d0=/dev/sg1
trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintResult Vendor: '/'
trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd {
trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd   EVPD: 0
trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd   LUN: 0
trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd   PAGE CODE: 0
trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd   ALLOCATION LENGTH: 36
trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd   CONTROL: 0
trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd }
trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd Host Adapter: 0
trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd Flags: 0
warn:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd    Transfer by scsi cmd. Length not checked
trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd   Residual byte length reporting disabled
trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd   Linking disabled
trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd   Posting disabled
trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd Target: 5
trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd Lun: 0
trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd BufLen: 36
trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd SenseLen: 18
trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd BufPtr: 3e70000 (0x403b15bc)
trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd LinkPointer 0
trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd CDB Length: 6
trace:aspi:ASPI_DebugPrintCmd POST Proc: 0
CDB buffer[12,00,00,00,24,00]
trace:aspi:ASPI_OpenDevice16 Trying to open unlisted scsi device
Software\Wine\Wine\Config\scsi c0t5d0
warn:aspi:ASPI_ExecScsiCmd Failed: could not open device. Device
permissions !?

and so on, as it tries to open all of the other SCSI generic devices (I
have only created a device special file for /dev/sg1, which is the
scanner, so it fails on all except for c0t4d0.  On target 4 (the
scanner), it apparently is causing a SCSI error and is not able to read
the scanner identification string.

Could this be the buffer-too-short problem that I heard about?  I
thought it wasn't a problem in 2.2.19?

Mark
markhaun at uiuc.edu