Trying to startup Wine

Larry Alkoff larryalk at mindspring.com
Sun Oct 21 18:07:37 CDT 2001

Grr my RoadRunner account is not posting for me so I pasted replies
into another account that works by POTS.  The originals will probably
show up sometime.

g.patel at wanadoo.fr.invalid (gerard patel) wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Oct 2001 17:00:00 -0400 (EDT), lawson_whitney at juno.com
> wrote:
> <snip>
> >The doco is all written with the mistaken assumption that wine users
> >know how to work a *nix system.
>
> Maybe with this one also :-)g.patel at wanadoo.fr.invalid (gerard patel) wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Oct 2001 18:26:44 GMT, Larry Alkoff <invalid at nowhere.com>
> wrote:
>
> >I have downloaded the source (wine-20011004),
> >compiled and installed with ~/wine-20011004/tools/install.sh
> >and am attempting to start running it.
> <snip>
>
> The proper tool to use is wineinstall (as said in the README)
>
> Gerard

Please excuse the error in my post Gerard.  I actually _did_ use
/tools/wineinstall
to install wine as stated in the Wine User Guide from Wine
Developement Hq
but specified the wrong program in my post.

I now have sol working :-)

Still having problems getting most dos program working using
wine c:/path/dos-program.exe.

I was able to run a dos version of cat but could not get it to cat a
file,
all I got was the help when you don't specify a target file.  Command
was:
wine c:/1bin/cat.exe  c:/1bin/cat.doc - both files are in that
directory.

I use dos versions of linux common linux commands where possible
to avoid confusion.

There must be a secret to running dos commands but I haven't found
anything yet in the docs.

> "This is still a developers only release."

I looked all over the winehq site for some indication of a "stable"
release
but didn't find anything like that.

I'm not very comfortable running a version that says:
> VERSIONS OF WINE IN THIS DIRECTORY ARE DEVELOPMENT VERSIONS.  THEY ARE LIKELY
> TO CONTAIN NUMEROUS BUGS.  USE OF THESE VERSIONS IS AT YOUR OWN RISK!
but that's the best I could find.

BTW, I'm running Slack 8.0 with the 2.4.5 kernel.

Larry