Trying to startup Wine

gerard patel g.patel at wanadoo.fr.invalid
Sun Oct 21 20:39:16 CDT 2001

On Sun, 21 Oct 2001 18:07:37 -0500, Larry Alkoff
<larryalk at mindspring.com> wrote:

>Still having problems getting most dos program working using
>wine c:/path/dos-program.exe.
>
>I was able to run a dos version of cat but could not get it to cat a
>file,
>all I got was the help when you don't specify a target file.  Command
>was:
>wine c:/1bin/cat.exe  c:/1bin/cat.doc - both files are in that
>directory.

I don't use much this kind of program but I remember that
to pass the Windows application parameters, you are
supposed to use the -- symbol to separate the app parameters
from the wine parameters. That should be :
wine c:/1bin/cat.exe --  c:/1bin/cat.doc

>I use dos versions of linux common linux commands where possible
>to avoid confusion.
>
>There must be a secret to running dos commands but I haven't found
>anything yet in the docs.

The secret is that the dos support in Wine is mostly aimed at
being able to run decompressors like pkunzip. Wine has no
advanced dos support like dosemu is supposed to bring.
I know nil about the subject but IIRC what is lacking in Wine is
complete extended memory management and vga graphic stuff. In
short it has a limited support.

Gerard