DLL not loading, msjava.dll, Encyclopedia Britannica

Stephan Matthiesen stephan at met.ed.ac.uk
Fri Mar 7 11:15:08 CST 2003

Hi,

excuse me if my problem is something obvious, but I'm lost and couldn't find
any useful information (is there a search function for the list archive?). Im
new to Wine (and only recently switched to Linux).

Problem:
I'm trying to run the Britannica Encyclopedia 2000 (BCD2000), but when I start
it I get the error message (in a popup window) "Unable to start the
application - Java virtual machine not found".

As far as I could figure out, the JVM included on the CD  was correctly
installed in /wine-c/windows/system/Msjava.dll  (/wine-c is my virtual
C-Drive). So somehow it doesn't seem to find it.

I tried to start wine  with debugmessages:
   wine --debugmsg +loaddll BCD2000.exe
gives messages that a number of builtin dlls have been loaded, but no mention
of msjava.dll. When I try
   wine --dll msjava=n --debugmsg +loaddll BCD2000.exe
Exactly the same - no msjava.dll appears in the message (shouldn't this load
msjava.dll from windows/system in any case?).

Other debugmessages (fixme, err) don't give any errors at all.

I also tried to include an entry
"msjava" = "native"
in the config file, but no result.

I'm using Wine 20030219 on Redhat 8.0. Winecheck gives no errors (except for
floppy and CD not present). I have no native Windows installed. The Setup
program for the Encyclopedia Britannica worked smoothly and installed the
program in /wine-c/Program Files/Britannica/BCD

Relevant sections in my ~home/.wine/config:
[Drive C]
"Path" = "/wine-c"
"Type" = "hd"
"Label" = "MS-DOS"
"Filesystem" = "win95"
(...)
[wine]
"Windows" = "c:\\windows"
"System" = "c:\\windows\\system"
"Temp" = "e:\\"
"Path" = "c:\\windows;c:\\windows\\system;e:\\;e:\\test;f:\\"
(...)
[DllOverrides]
(... a nomber of dlls ...)
"*" = "builtin, native"

I have no idea what to do - do I have to set the path to the dll somewhere, or
does the msjava.dll not work at all (why don't I get an error)? Or is the
"Java not found" message about somethin completely different?

I don't know if anything else in my wine installation might be wrong. The
installation seemed to go without problems. I don't have other Windows
programs to try, only winmine (included in wine), and WinEdt - both seem to
work ok.

Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance!

All the best
Stephan

Stephan Matthiesen
Institute for Meteorology, University of Edinburgh
http://www.met.ed.ac.uk/~stephan