Wine Networking: SOLUTION

Darryl Luff dluff at iitscdm.com.au
Thu Oct 9 01:26:51 CDT 2003

Duane Clark wrote:

> Darryl Luff wrote:

>> Is there anything I need to do to enable the network? Would I be
>> better off using the 'fake' windows install under /usr/share/wine-c?
>> Are there any docs about on configuring networking under Wine?
>>
> In general, I would recommend using a fake windows install, of for no
> other reason than to prevent messing up the real one. Just copy over
> interesting files; mainly fonts and DLLs.

Thanks Duane.

As suggested, I tried a couple of "known working" network apps, and they
didn't work (network wise) either.

With the Fedora RPM, notes and visio both worked using the "real" win2k
install directories, and the winver set to "win2k". But with no network.
When I used the default wine fake install, I couldn't get notes or visio
to work at all.

I changed to the winehq RPM (wine-20030911-1rh9winehq), and I could now
run notes and visio in the fake windows install, with the winver left at
"auto". But still no networking.

Doing a "wine --debugmsg warn+all c:\\notes\\notes.exe" I noticed a lot
of warnings like this:
warn:dosfs:DOSFS_FindUnixName L"KERNEL32.dll" not found in
'/home/dluff/.wine/c/notes'
warn:dosfs:DOSFS_FindUnixName L"KERNEL32.dll" not found in
'/home/dluff/.wine/c/notes'
warn:dosfs:DOSFS_FindUnixName L"KERNEL32.dll" not found in
'/home/dluff/.wine/c/windows/system'
warn:dosfs:DOSFS_FindUnixName L"KERNEL32.dll" not found in
'/home/dluff/.wine/c/windows'
warn:dosfs:DOSFS_FindUnixName L"KERNEL32.dll" not found in
'/home/dluff/.wine/c/windows'
warn:dosfs:DOSFS_FindUnixName L"KERNEL32.dll" not found in
'/home/dluff/.wine/c/windows/system'
warn:dosfs:DOSFS_FindUnixName L"KERNEL32.dll" not found in '/tmp'

Some of the DLL's it couldnt find were in the windows\system32
directory. I tried adding this to the [wine]Path variable, but it didn't
make any difference. So I did the stupid thing (cp system32/* system)
and now it's all working! I'm pretty sure this was a bad solution but at
least it worked.