[Wine]wine-20040716 and kernel 2.6.7 problems

Anand Buddhdev arb at anand.org
Fri Aug 13 15:56:55 CDT 2004

After I upgraded to kernel 2.6.7 on my fedora core 2 system, I have one
problem with wine. In this kernel, the binfmt_misc feature is not built
as a module, but compiled into the kernel. Therefore, the 'modprobe
binfmt_misc' command in the wine startup script fails. The script needs
to be modified to only run the modprobe if /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc is
not found.

Secondly, under this new kernel, the permissions of
/proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc are:

dr-xr-xr-x  2 root root 0 Aug 13 22:52 /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc

And therefore, the wine startup script fails to register wine as a
handler for windows executables, because it cannot write into the
'register' file (which by the way, does not exist). I can no longer run
windows programs by double-clicking on them, or typing the name at the
shell prompt.

When I filed this complaint in the fedora bugzilla, Arjan said that it
wasn't their problem; that it was an upstream kernel problem. Is anyone
else experiencing this problem? Have you found a fix for it yet?