Old wines

Joris Huizer jorishuizer at planet.nl
Tue Jan 13 03:12:04 CST 2004

saravanan wrote:
> Hai guys,
>        I would like to get some old WINE softwares for Redhat 7.3 &
> RedHat 9.0 machines. Because the latest WINE softwares takes a lot of
> time to execute an OCR program. ( Eg. wine-20031016-1rh73winehq.i686-2).
> But the WINE s/w provided with the RedHat-7.3 cd
> ie.,wine-20020327-1.i386 executes the program very quickly but the
> problem is, it takes  a long time to build font metrics in order to call
> the program.  So i would like to get the WINE softwares released in the
> earlier months of 2003. eg. WINE-20030318 for RedHat7.3 & RedHat9.0 .I
> believe that the earlier WINEs might call the program very quickly and
> also it might execute the program quickly.In RedHat8.0 machine the
> program works very well with wine-20030318-1rh8winehq.i386, which is
> provided with the CD. Please kindly let me know where i can get these
> old but working WINEs.
>  The machine i am using is a DELL computer with Pentium-III peocessor.
> For this machine which architecture is suitable. whether
> i386 or i686.
> Looking forward for your kind reply.
>

> Saravanan
>

> ______________________________________
> Scanned and protected by Email scanner

Hello, Saravanan,

I have no idea where you can find old wine binaries - but you can
allways download the wine source and compile wine yourself at
http://ftp.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/ALPHA/wine/development/
The oldest wine version they have is Wine-20030115.tar.gz so doing this
could solve your problem allright!

Compiling wine yourself is really easy: un-tar the tarball with
   tar xzf Wine-*.tar.gz
go into the new directory (named wine-<date>) and type,
   ./tools/wineinstall
This will build the wine program of the version you want.

I think, to be sure, it's a good idea to remove a wine version which is
currently installed - but I don't really know how this is done in redhat;

Compiling takes some time (especially on an older computer) but ofcourse
it only has to be done once;

I hope this helps,

Joris