[Wine]Can't install Dreamweaver MX

Holly Bostick motub at planet.nl
Thu Jul 8 17:34:05 CDT 2004

Mike Hearn wrote:

>On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 17:48:33 +0200, Holly Bostick wrote:
>

>>InstallShield doesn't really work under pure Wine (that's the main
>>reason one pays for WineX or Crossover Office, as they have paid for a
>>license to work with InstallShield installers).
>>

>We did? Heh, I wish it was that easy!
>
>Nope, the only thing CodeWeavers has paid for (I work for them) is a
>license from Apple for font hinting.
>
>The reason InstallShield works out of the box in CrossOver is
>mostly because:
>
>a) we ship a mini stdole32.tlb file by default. You can steal this file
>from a Windows box if you like. Drop it in your fake c:\windows\system
>directory, and InstallShield should now at least start up and run.
>
>b) we pull in native DCOM for a lot of things. You can install that in
>stock Wine like this:
>
>WINEDLLOVERRIDES='ole32=n' wine DCOM95.EXE
>
>then, run InstallShields like this:
>
>WINEDLLOVERRIDES='ole32,oleaut32,rpcrt4=n' wine setup.exe
>
>thanks -mike

Sorry, Mike, I was lumping you guys in with Transgaming and Cedega (who
I'm pretty sure paid for some InstallShield something, as they seem to
be quite vocal about having licensed code that allows installers and
copy protection programs to work), but maybe even they didn't buy any
license from InstallShield specifically.

In any case, thanks for the clarification-- as you might be aware, it's
very difficult for a pure user to follow all the complexities of what
each type of Wine variant has done to enable certain features and
abilities, except in the most vague and general way-- information of
even a "PR-level" nature is pretty sparse. Which is why it's so
difficult to troubleshoot any problems, even for the clever among us, if
we aren't coders.

Holly