[Wine]Can't load X dll...

Stefan Munz stefan.munz at itomig.de
Tue Jul 20 17:23:59 CDT 2004

<snip>
> > > You assume correctly.  What's the process for doing this with the
> > > registry on the Linux/wine end?
> >
> > just copy the (exported) windows registry file to your fake_win dir,
> > start regedit ("wine regedit") and import it. maybe a "reboot" of wine is
> > needed ("wineboot").
>
> Hmm, okay, here's the situation.  The registry file I needed to import is
> in /windows/windows, which is a complete copy of the windows directory and
> all its subs from the other machine.  I'm assuming, perhaps incorrectly,
> that using the regedit in the source-code "programs/regedit" dir will edit
> the registry that's in my ~/.wine directory, am I correct?  So, I went to
> /windows/windows, ran "wine ./regedit" and exported the registry to a file
> I called windows_dir.reg in my home dir.  Then I went to
> ~/wine/programs/regedit, ran the regedit there and imported the file.  Did
> I do this right?

I don't know wether there exists the possibility to "export" a windows
registry this way. The only way I already used is, starting the windows
system, running regedit in windows, export the (complete) registry there,
then reboot and import it using "wine regedit".

As far as I know, "wine regedit"  always operates on the registry in the wine
environment, never in real windows-dir. Maybe you can alter this behaviour by
specifying the real windows dir in your wine config file (therefore you
should set "/windows" as your drive c, c:\\windows as win-dir and c:\\windows
\\system as win-system-dir). But I never tested this and would not use it
unless a complete backup of the windows drive exists.

> Because the program still doesn't work, it stops with the same error :-(
> I'm really hoping that I did something wrong, because I can fix that.  If
> the program is just being recalcitrant, I really can't do much about that.
> I'd rather the problem was something I can fix!

> > > Nope. I checked that :-)  Still, it never hurts to ask; part of my
> > > personal philosophy is, the answer is always simpler than we think it
> > > is.
> >
> > maybe not always but more often than we think ;-)
>
> The older I get, the more I realize that it's usually something I
> overlooked in my ADD-induced haste :-)

:-)