ALSA and an intel i8x0/SiS SI7012 sound card

Henk Poley hpoley at dds.nl
Tue Mar 16 12:04:31 CST 2004

Rick Knight wrote:

> Michael Graham wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I've been try to get sound in wine (20040121) working on my machine for
>>while now. As you've probably guessed I've got a SiS 7012 (which uses
>>the intel i8x0 modules) and alsa (either natively or OSS emulation.)
>
> I have an Intel MB with the i8x0 on-board sound. I tried for about 4
> weeks to get sound working with ALSA and Wine (for a couple of games)
> and was never able to. ALSA worked fine for Linux only stuff but not for
> Wine. I finally dumped ALSA and installed the kernel OSS driver,
> i810_audio, and everything works now. I would prefer to use ALSA, but I
> want to be able to get sound in my Wine apps so, for now, no ALSA.
>
> If you find a solution, please post here.

Hmm, I don't have a 'solution', but I use the aRts sound deamon on this
machine, also has SiS7012 on-boards sound, and it just works with Wine.
aRts itself plugs in to ALSA.

Just in case, you can enable the aRts soundbackend like this:

---
[WinMM]
; Uncomment the "Drivers" line matching your sound setting.

;"Drivers" = "wineoss.drv"      ; default for most common configurations
"Drivers" = "winearts.drv"    ; for KDE
;"Drivers" = "winealsa.drv"    ; for ALSA users
;"Drivers" = "winejack.drv"    ; for Jack sound server
;"Drivers" = "winenas.drv"     ; for NAS sound system
;"Drivers" = "wineaudioio.drv" ; for Solaris machines
;"Drivers" = ""                ; to disable sound
"WaveMapper" = "msacm.drv"
"MidiMapper" = "midimap.drv"
---

        Henk Poley <><