[Wine]old Wine from CVS

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Fri Oct 29 11:48:31 CDT 2004

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 09:21:10 -0700, Duane Clark <dclark at akamail.com> wrote:
> Walt Ogburn wrote:
> > Hi Mark,
> >
> > That last one makes it look like the crash is in a different thread than
> > the one we were looking at.
> >
> > I looked at jack_fst, and I guess you are using the fst library.  This
> > borrows a bunch of files from wine, so it's not too surprising if it
> > breaks when the real wine version and the borrowed stuff are very
> > dissimilar.
> >

> Yes, that is exactly what I am starting to think. I wonder if the
> problem would go away if jack_fst were recompiled with a current version
> of Wine. I suspect there is a good chance that would fix things.

No - I tried it. Didn't work. Recompiled both fst and jack_fst. Same
issue. Same issue even if I recompiled them the special version that
only has the fixes from 5/24.

Looking through the fst-1.6 library there are a smallish list of files
that were lifted right out of Wine at the time they did the work to
make fst-1.6:

flash wine $ ls -la
total 132
drwxr-xr-x  2 mark users  1024 Oct 29 09:35 .
drwxr-xr-x  4 mark users  1024 Oct 29 08:49 ..
-rw-r--r--  1 mark users  1217 Oct 29 06:48 gettid.c
-rw-r--r--  1 mark users  6814 Oct 29 06:48 interlocked.c
-rw-r--r--  1 mark users 10899 Oct 29 06:48 port.h
-rw-r--r--  1 mark users  5645 Oct 29 06:48 pthread.c
-rw-r--r--  1 mark users  4947 Oct 29 06:48 pthread.h
-rw-r--r--  1 mark users  3702 Oct 29 06:48 server.h
-rw-r--r--  1 mark users 83049 Oct 29 06:48 server_protocol.h
-rw-r--r--  1 mark users  6725 Oct 29 06:48 thread.h
-rw-r--r--  1 mark users  4503 Oct 29 06:48 windef16.h
flash wine $

The changelog says this was all done in March/2004. It worked until
May/2004 and then died on May 24th as I've discovered. Using some diff
tools the Gentoo folks turned me on to I can see that the changes are
very big in some cases.

However, when I look for an overlap between the files that were copied
in March and the files that were changed in the update that killed
jack_fst (shown below) I see no direct overlaps.

<SNIP>
Modified files:
	loader         : main.c
	libs/wine      : wine.map wine.def port.c loader.c Makefile.in
	include/wine   : library.h
	dlls/ntdll     : virtual.c
	dlls/kernel    : process.c
Added files:
	libs/wine      : mmap.c

Log message:
	Added support for managing reserved memory areas in libwine and ntdll.
	Try to reserve everything above 0x80000000 on startup.
<SNIP>

The log message above is a bit scary WRT the problem I'm having
though. Segfaults are often memory issues, I think.

For fun I created a TEST-fst-1.7 directory, copied all the code from
1.6 over, and then copied the newest files from wine-20041019 to
replace the files above. fst won't build. (Not a big surprise, but
disappointing.) Redefinition problems. Other things too...

Don't exactly know where to go right now. I suspect that Alexandre
won't be very interested in helping fix a program that copied old Wine
files and is now broken. Of far more interest to me is how do I fix
this so that it continues to work with Wine into the future? A bit
beyond me, but an interesting task I think.

> Mark Knecht wrote:
> >    It's quite interesting doing this poking around. I'm a hardware
> > designer by trade - PC chipsets and 1394 stuff - I don't mess with
> > code at this level very often.
> >

> Ah, well that interesting. I am also a hardware designer; doing various
> FPGA design work. I use Wine to run some engineering software, and try
> to tinker with it in my spare time.

Funnt.  It'll probably turn out you're in the cube next to me in
Silicon Valley. Small world. ;-)