Linux apps from inside Wine (was:Re: [Wine]Problems with Lotus Notes R5.0.12 under Wine 20050524)

penna at bb.com.br penna at bb.com.br
Wed Jun 8 17:01:23 CDT 2005

Hi Shadi,

        I'm also using notes 5.0.12 and I've posted at May,05-2005 a
message just talking about how to start Linux apps from a Windows app
over/under Wine. The only problem is that I'm not using wine-20050524 ...
8-(. Instead I'm using 20040813.
        Follows the message. Feel free to ask me more questions and if you
want I can send to you another types of scripts.

Regards. Ulisses Penna

====================================
Hi Rainer,

> i have running lotus notes under wine on my redhat 9 system.

So am I, since year 2001  ;)

> what i want is, to define which application should be started for
> which attachment type. so for microsoft attachments i want to start
> my linux version of open office and for pdf files i want also to start
> my linux version of acrobat reader or xpdf!
>
> so, where do i have to configure this stuff?

OK, It's possible and works very fine when you right-click at the
document. See below.

I did the following 2 steps:

1) put an entry at the ~/.wine/system.reg like this (example):
------------------------ 8< --------------------------------
[Software\\Classes\\.pdf] 1051470000
@="acroread.pdf"

[Software\\Classes\\acroread.pdf] 1051470000
@="Documento Adobe PDF"

[Software\\Classes\\acroread.pdf\\DefaultIcon] 1051470000
@="C:\\Program Files\\Acroread\\acroread.exe,1"

[Software\\Classes\\acroread.pdf\\shell] 1051470000
@="open"

[Software\\Classes\\acroread.pdf\\shell\\open\\command] 1051470000
@="\"C:\\Program Files\\Acroread\\acroread.exe\" \"%1\""
---------------------- 8< ---------------------------------

2) the linux "executable" acroread.exe *must* be placed at the above dir:
"C:\Program Files\Acroread". The linux "executable" is a shell script so
you can do anything you like from now on ;). Follows an example:
---------------------- 8< ---------------------------------
#!/bin/sh

#set -x
mkdir -p "$HOME/tmp"
LOG="$HOME/tmp/acroread.exe-log.`id -u -n`"
echo "Arguments received: $@" > $LOG
#
RESULT=`winepath "$@" 2> /dev/null`
echo "/usr/local/bin/acroread $RESULT" >> $LOG
TMP=$TMPDIR ; TEMP=$TMPDIR ; /usr/local/bin/acroread "$RESULT"
# removing the temporary file
rm -f "$RESULT"
---------------------- 8< ---------------------------------

        I already have system.reg entries for various extensions (DOC,
SXW, XLS, SXC, ZIP, HTM, JPG, etc) and their respectives "executables".
        You have to be careful with some tricks like the $TMP and $TMPDIR
that are modified by wine.
        You can have lots of informations if you put at the end of the
"executable" script an entry like: "env >> $LOG" to see the environment
variables and anything you like.
        If this helps I'd like to know because we can exchange new
"executables" for other extensios (mimes)/entries.
        One more tip for lotus notes. You can also modify your browser
settings in order to start a linux browser when you get a HTTP link at the
email. My notes is in portuguese (brazilian) so I'm figuring out the
path/location of the parameters in english .... you have to choose (at the
right side at the end of the notes window) something like: Office->Edit
current->Internet browser. At the "internet browser" choose "Other" and
then navigate through the file system in order to find the "mozilla.exe"
shell script below (put it somewhere else). There is no need for a
system.reg entry.

mozilla.exe
---------------------- 8< ---------------------------------
#!/bin/sh

#set -x
mkdir -p "$HOME/tmp"
LOG="$HOME/tmp/mozilla.exe-log.`id -u -n`"
echo "Arguments received: $@" > $LOG
MOZILLA_BIN="/usr/bin/mozilla"
LANG=en $MOZILLA_BIN -remote "ping()" 2>&1 | grep "No running" >> $LOG
2>&1
if [ $? != 0 ] ; then
        echo "Calling: $MOZILLA_BIN -remote \"openurl(\"$RESULTADO\",
new-window)\"" >> $LOG
        $MOZILLA_BIN -remote "openurl($RESULTADO, new-window)"
else
        echo "Calling: $MOZILLA_BIN \"$RESULTADO\"" >> $LOG
        $MOZILLA_BIN "$RESULTADO"
fi

        I have a more sofisticated mozilla.exe script. If you want, please
let me know.

Hope this helps. Regards.
Ulisses de Sousa Penna
Analista Consultor - Banco do Brasil
Fone: +55-61-310-6320   Fax: +55-61-310-6435