[Wine] Re: system, system32 and dll overrides

Duane Clark dclark at akamail.com
Mon Nov 28 11:57:44 CST 2005

Marius Schrecker wrote:
> STOP PRESS: even when symlinked to system the application complains. If I
> symlink them to system32 (without an override) everything loads without
> warnings. The overridden shell32 seems to load fine from system.

Wine recently changed from using system to system32 as the default
directory for DLLs.

> As far as system32 is concerned, the application installer put a number of
> native dlls in there. The (rather old) vfp/wine documentation I have found
> suggests that some of these should be loaded in native form, so I'm
> guessing that I DO need to create explicit overrides for these to avoid
> the builtin versions being loaded. .... or do files in system32 get loaded
> automagically (see STOP PRESS)??

If there is no Wine version of a DLL, then Wine will automatically look
for a native version. No override is necessary. In general, you should
first try running the app with no overrides, and only add overrides if
necessary for a specific app. About the only exception to that would be
msvcrt.dll, where you are generally better off with a native version
(though there has been quite a bit of work on this one lately). And VFP
generally supplies it's own msvcrxx anyway.