[Wine] Problem with strings in Delphi Program

Yves Glodt y.glodt at sitasoftware.lu
Thu Oct 27 02:42:38 CDT 2005

I tried to run a program written in Delphi in wine and it ran quite
perfectly, but sadly there was one important detail that made using it

It seems that wine has a problem with the text inputs (edits). They are
"string" datatypes (8 bit ansi string), and not null terminated.

The problem was showing itself e.g. at the login form of the program.
The password I typed had 4 characters, but wine added some characters to
the end of the 4 chars, which seemed to come from other strings in the
form. To be more wordy:

The form has 2 labels (user and pass) and 2 string fields:

User: _____
Pass: _____

We added a writeln that printed out the typed password on the
commandline, and saw that my password (which was "test") was printed as

The characters added at the end of the string seemed to change randomly,
but often came from other strings found in the program...

What could I do to resolve this problem?

Thanks and best regards,