[Wine] The Wine project needs YOU to help triage bugs!

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 10:18:45 CDT 2005

On 9/25/05, Dan Kegel <daniel.r.kegel at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/25/05, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
> > 1) I run Gentoo. Is installation through portage OK for this task, or
> > do you feel it very important to install from a tarball?
>
> Portage is probably ok as long as it's as up to date as
> the latest source tarball.  i.e. if the latest source tarball
> is 20050823, but portage is stuck on 20050615, you probably
> want to go with the source tarball.  I'll update the web page
> after I figure out good wording.

OK, portage is up to date with 20050830 so I'm building that now.

> > 2) I happen to be typing this back on an AMD64 machine that has
> > Wine-20050725 installed, but I do not know if Wine is really supported
> > on a 64-bit machine running a 64-bit kernel. What are the issues here?
> > Emulation libraries? Other things which are Windows related? I don't
> > know. Please give guidance. I do have a much slower 32 bit machine
> > which is available to do this work.
>
> It depends.  You should be able to run a 32 bit version of
> Wine just fine as long as your system has support for
> 32 bit apps in userland.  (Debian doesn't, but most 64 bit distros do.)

I *beleive* I do have 32-bit support. It's supplied, according to the
Gentoo ocs, through some emulation libraries that I do have installed:

lightning ~ # qpkg -I | grep emul-linux
app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-baselibs *
app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-compat *
app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-glibc *
app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-gtklibs *
app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-soundlibs *
app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-xlibs *
lightning ~ #

I'll start with these and see how it goes.

Additionally I'm building 20050830 on one of my 32-bit machines.

Thanks,
Mark