[Wine] Re: wine-users Digest, Vol 17, Issue 36

Jonathan Ernst jonathan at ernstfamily.ch
Wed Dec 20 10:01:58 CST 2006

Le mercredi 20 décembre 2006 à 22:30 +0800, Flying a écrit :
[...]
> I had slightly better luck now. When I create a new .wine directory by
> winecfg, if I set OS emulation to Windows 2000 (the default was Windows
> XP), I could actually get IE6 completely installed (at least appearantly

The default is Windows 2000

> complete). But I still couldn't run it!

Running native IE requires to override many components, have a look at
the AppDB : http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iVersionId=469

However as I said before, if you only want to satisfy installers you
don't need to run IE, just install it. If you want to run IE, use
ies4linux or find the correct overrides.

> When I run iexplore.exe, it always show my a completely blank IE6
> window, and pop up saying that it needs "Wine Gecko Installer." But even
> if I press the "Download" button, nothing happens, and the IE6 window
> remained empty.

You might be behind a proxy or have other problems. What you are seeing
is the builtin IE. After downloading and installing gecko (it should be
automatic), you will be able to browse websites using builtin IE (but no
menus, other UI yet).

> After a little bit of searching, I tried installed Mozilla ActiveX
> Control. This time round, IE6 no longer ask me to download "Wine Gecko
> Installer," but still, the IE window is completely blank.

That's because you didn't tried to open a website, try :

wine iexplore http://www.google.com

> Appearantly, most people didn't have any problem installing IE6 from the
> installer. But I just wonder if there is anything so peculiar about my
> system (Ubuntu Edgy, completely new installation, Wine 0.9.27 built from
> source)... It's been really a pain these few days while I was trying all
> sorts of methods trying to get IE installed... *sigh*

IE installation is very easy (just double click IEsetup.exe, that's it).
Running _native_ IE is more tricky and not supported as Wine provides
it's own implementation of IE.

Good luck,

Jonathan