[Wine] Virtual window misbehavior

Jim Hall volunteer.jim at gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 15:53:55 CDT 2007

On 11/2/07, L. Rahyen <research at science.su> wrote:

> On Thursday November 1 2007 20:59, Jim Hall wrote:
> > I haven't found handles to re-size the window.
>
>         Virtual desktop have fixed size. You don't need to resize it. If
> you *really*
> want this you can use Window Menu -> Advanced -> Special
> Application/Window
> Settings dialog to override default behavior of any window or application
> in
> KDE.
>
> > All native Linux
> > apps treat the panels as "no go" zones. Is there some config setting
> that
> > will make the desktop window do that?
>
>         I have latest WINE, Debian Etch with KDE 3.5.5 and don't see
> problem you
> describing.
>
>         If you need more help, please give more details. What desktop
> environment you
> are using: KDE or GNOME? Maybe something else? Don't forget to provide
> version numbers.
>
>         Thank you for using WINE.

(Sorry about the Cc, I sometimes click the wrong button.)

I'm running Gnome. Pkg "gnome-desktop-environment" is 1:2.14.3.6. I've just
checked and all my updates are the latest. Since KDE and Gnome desktops
behave differently, I'm not surprised you don't see my problem.

I've been doing some experimenting since your reply. Your statement "Virtual
desktop have fixed size." made my brain itch. Setting the virtual desktop
size isn't done by drop down menu with preset choices. I remembered setting
an incorrect number once. Winecfg took it without complaint. (I corrected
it, of course.) So I started playing with the numbers for real. I wound up
with: 1012x665 and the resultant window is exactly the size I need. It does
open up 3-4 pixels too high, but THAT doesn't really matter. Diablo II LOD
doesn't look or play any differently.

It's such a useful feature, I'm surprised I couldn't find any documentation
about it, unless I didn't understand what I did find.

Jim