[Wine] 0.9.49's libwine "fix" broke my "system wide install" kludge...

L. Rahyen research at science.su
Tue Nov 13 23:23:31 CST 2007

On Wednesday November 14 2007 04:14, Eric Benedict wrote:
> Short version: I'd like help in configuring the registry as described in
> Section 3.2.4 to allow for system wide installs.  0.9.49's libwine 'fix'
> plugged a security hole I was happily using to achieve the same effective
> result.

	This is how it supposed to be:
	Each user have its own .wine directory and user.reg in it. Users may share
system.reg, dosdevices and drive_c.
	For example, if you have one master .wine directory (which belong to
the "primary" user) and symlinks to it in home directories of other
("secondary") users this setup will not work anymore. To fix this I suggest:

	1) Delete all symlinks to primary .wine directory.
	2) mkdir .wine for each secondary user with proper permissions.
	3) Symlink primary system.reg, dosdevices and drive_c to .wine directory of
each secondary user.

	Of course it is obvious that above is true for any wine prefix directory (not
just .wine) including .ies4linux/ie6 and custom ones.

	Thank you for using WINE.

	(Personally I didn't spend time to change my setup because it is worked well
for me and my brother for a very long time. Instead I hacked the code to
reintroduce the "security hole". I can send you the hack if you wish.
However, I do *not* recommend to hack WINE. This is strongly discouraged
practice! Only proper way is to fix your setup as I described above. Someone
may ask me why I didn't fixed my setup if it's so simple and hacked WINE
instead? This is because I have a LOT of wine prefix directories and me and
my brother use exactly same settings: same color scheme for WINE, same DPI
resolution, etc.)