[Wine] Re: Reporting a Complaint

alienjon wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Jun 5 21:35:13 CDT 2009

> The person who responded to your bug was CORRECT in his statement. You
> have to build Wine with all dependencies fulfilled or you will have
> problems.

I understand, and don't necessarily disagree with what he was trying to say, but the problem was the tone and words he used to express himself.  At this point I have heard back from an administrator and do not wish to pursue the complaint farther (I consider the issue 'registered', if you will, and do not wish to bring potentially unwarrented attention towards this developer)

However, as for the reason for the post, I disagree that compiling wine to include libgphoto2 or the other library (I can't remember it off the top of my head) will fix the problem or is necessary for me to solve the problem, as another individual (also using Wine with identical USE-flags in a Gentoo-64 environment) is able to run the program rather well (as s/he reports)

Regardless of that, as I am currently running Wine in a 64bit environment and, to get all of these required 32bit requirenments I would need to chroot into a 32bit environment, compile all the requirenments (as well as any requirenments for them), potentially patch wine several times (as you had indicated) and then compile Wine itself.

Personally, as the only individual seemingly with this exact problem (insofar as I've found) it is much easier for me to just reboot into XP and play the game from there rather than go through all this work for something I don't honestly think will help the problem (although, to be honest, I'm also concerned that in creating a chrooted environment I may compromise my system (not that it isn't safe - I really don't know if it is or isn't) but knowing my luck I'd probably do something stupid in the process  :? )

BUT, that's assuming I'd be compiling.  Running on Gentoo, I automatically assume 'build from source'.  However, you mention there being binary copies of Wine with its dependencies I could try?  If so, I'd definitely be interested in testing that way (much safer, in my opinion, and I would definitely be interested in testing that way)  Where might I find those?

Additionally, I am using a GeForce 7600GS card with the latest drivers (180.60, I believe - I'm not in front of it right now, but it's definitely the latest)  The error itself is:

Code:
err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x7e114810 "d3d9_main.c: d3d9_cs"
wait timed out in thread 001f, blocked by 0009, retrying (60 sec)

Definitely a DirectX-related issue (and, from what I can tell, related to thread locking)  I HAVE found this error via Google searches, but none of the problems have matched mine (in terms of effects or for this specific game (Supreme Commander) and a good number of them have tried things that resolved the problem for them, but not for me.

With ALL that being said, I have now gotten this post WAY off topic.  Should I start a new one to keep these 2 topics separated?