[Wine] WoW Performance - Degrades over Time

Kalle Last kalle.last at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 09:11:38 CDT 2009

2009/3/12 tparker <tparker at etherstorm.net>

> On Thu, 2009-03-12 at 11:34 +0200, Kalle Last wrote:
> >
> > I seem to be having somewhat similar issues lately. Unfortunately I
> > haven't been able to pin down the problem yet as lots of things
> > changed. I went from 64 bit Kubuntu 8.-something, older NV drivers,
> > wow 3.0.3 to 64bit Gentoo with 180.-something NV drivers, latest Wine
> > and wow patch 3.0.9.
>
> Mine seems to be finally becoming stable again, a couple things that
> might be worth trying to see if they help on your system (no promises):
>
> -go into WINE config, graphics tab and look for a box that says 'allow
> pixel shader', be sure it is not checked. You may have to go back in and
> reselect it if you have another game that uses it, but for some odd
> reason my WoW runs better without that, even though I use opengl

That's worth a try for sure

> -if you start the game from a desktop shortcut be sure that "-opengl"
> without the quotes is at the end of the Command line, sometimes updates
> take it out.

I'm quite sure I had the option in my cfg.wtf file, it's again a good idea
to recheck it.

> -for stability you might want to try limiting your system to 3G ram as
> mentioned on the WINEappdb page, not a favorite work around but it does
> help some people until a better solution is found.

That's kind of complicated as I need the RAM for other background tasks.

> -check your /ect/X11/xorg.conf, in the Files section for a line that
> says either ModulePath "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/fglrx"
> or ModulePath "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/nvidia".  If yours
> says nvidia at the end try commenting it out and putting in the line
> ending with fglrx.  When I upgraded to the 180.x drivers it changed that
> line and I got graphics glitches until I changed it back to ending in
> 'fglrx'.

That doesn't sound logical at all. fglrx is or ATI aka AMD video cards but I
have NV one. Could anyone explain why would such a change be needed?

I'll try those changes out in a few hours when I get home, I'll try to let
you know of my progress.

--
Kalle Last