[Wine] Installing Wine on ubuntu 9.04

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 26 21:32:49 CDT 2009

NewtoLinux wrote:
> Ok, I did what you said and I googled a few bash tutorials and I got the idea of the cd command. I have the diablo II shortcut on my desktop. So I typed in
> Code:
> ls
>
> . I saw the Desktop in my directory and type in cd Desktop. Took me a long time to figure out the cd command is case sensitive.
>
> I then typed ls again. I Saw in my terminal:
>  Diablo II.Desktop
>  Diablo II - Lord of Destruction.lnk
>  Diablo II - Lord of Destruction.Desktop
>
> I then tried
> Code:
> wine "Diablo II"
>
> and I tried wine "Diablo II.desktop", wine "Diablo II.Desktop", wine "Diablo II.Desktop.exe etc. None of them worked. The terminal printed either bad exe format or Module not found. What gives and what do these error msgs mean?

The .desktop items should show as icons on your desktop.  Double-click
them and Diablo II should start.  If you see a popup which states that
there was a serious error, then you will have to run the program from
the terminal as described in the following FAQ:

http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-3b297df7a5411abe2b8d37fead01a2b8edc21619

And you should post the results back here if you get < 20 lines.
Otherwise, capture the results to a logging file:

http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-a37de3282d447376d2220d20a278ae52258551a4

and post the resultant file to a site like pastebin.com and post the URL
to the pastebin.com page here.

Please understand that we may or may not be able to assist you based
upon your prior postings to this volunteer supported forum.

James McKenzie