[Wine] more than 16 bit audio

jordan triplesquarednine at gmail.com
Sat Mar 26 11:31:24 CDT 2011

Hey trevor,

> I tried using JACK, and I had no problem playing back a 96 kHz / 32-bit wav
> file that I recorded previously.  Everything was much more responsive in
> Adobe Audition.  Thanks for the suggestion!

No problem. Jack provides the framework for performance that you
require, and using wineASIO provides the "low-latency, preformace,
etc" that ASIO would provide in a windows environment, but interfaces
with Jackd.(jack for audio, but ALSA for midi in Wine).

> The only problem that cropped up was that the JACK inputs were missing.  No
> devices were available for recording!
>
> I wonder if something is wrong with my .asoundrc file for JACK?  Do you see
> anything wrong with my .asoundrc file that I posted previously?

Not sure. What is your soundcard?  Can you record audio files with
Linux apps, with ALSA and/or Jack??? (this would indicate that indeed
your .asoundrc is working.  when using jack, do you have Qjackctl
installed, or maybe patchage? - these apps will provide a GUI for
jack, and maybe your inputs are available to send to Wine/Audition
3.0...?   are you using "full duplex" in both your Wine application
(preferences?) and also Jack?

> I assume you are using JACK with ALSA?  Do you mind sharing your system and
> user .asoundrc files?  What is the command-line invocation you are using to
> begin JACK?

Yes, I am using Jack/ALSA. I'll put something together, but email it
to you... I'm not gonna post it on Wine-list, as it strays from what
this particular list is all about.

> Do you have doc or url that describes the kernel mods you have made for
> realtime performance?  I've made some, but I doubt it's very well tuned.
> Here are the urls I used:
>
>    http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/desktop/sound/realtime.xml
>
>    http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/JACK

I assume you know about Gentoo's Pro-audio Overlay???  ~  google it.
(because you are using gentoo right?).

anyway, give me a day or so and I will send a few links, and how i
personally go about things. I don't use Gentoo but have, and from
using BSD ~ i am fairly familiar with it. You will basically either
want to compile an RT-kernel, or a very recent Kernel (i currently am
running 2.6.37.3), combined with BFS scheduler ( which can work quite
well, for audio stuff ), and optimize a few other
things, as well.

jordan