Proposing a talk about WineTestBot

Francois Gouget fgouget at codeweavers.com
Sun Nov 11 22:09:47 CST 2012

So as I said recently on wine-devel (*) I think it would be interesting
to have a talk about the new WineTestBot.

It could start with a status update and presentation of the new setup.
Then it could present possible future developments, the related issues
and open discussion on the role BuildBot should or should not play.

This could also be an opportunity to discuss some policy aspects: when
to drop an OS from the tested configurations, whether to only test the
latest service pack, whether to systematically add / update some
packages / libraries like msvcrt to their latest version, whether to
only test in admin/elevated privileges mode, etc.

It would also be an opportunity to review the set of Windows
configurations that all patches should go through, and for developpers
to call for more to be added. Though that last part can really already
be done through Bugzilla or through discussion on wine-devel:
http://bugs.winehq.org/buglist.cgi?product=Wine-Testbot&component=unknown

I would also be pretty interested in getting suggestions / insights into
how to solve some of the technical challenges in testing on real
hardware. I already got some interesting pointers from Dan but there
will likely still be unresolved issues. That should maybe happen after
the presentation so as not to bore everyone with very narrow technical
aspects though.

(*) http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-devel/2012-November/097671.html
    http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-devel/2012-November/097677.html

--